[Air-l] Technology Transforming Education--EE-Learning

Kevin Guidry krguidry at gmail.com
Thu May 24 09:13:38 PDT 2007

On 5/23/07, Dr. Steve Eskow <drseskow at cox.net> wrote:

> Nancy, and all, does "multiple media" mean that a university education need
> no longer require the ability to cope with complex texts?

   Of course not.  I don't think the aim of any competent instructor
is to eliminate other media or prevent students from becoming
competent with them.  I can understand how one could reach such an
erroneous conclusion but it remains erroneous.
   Two thoughts strike me as this conversation continues:

1.  The discussion bears some similarity to discussions related to
disabilities and accommodations made for students with disabilities.
Is it better to give students with ADHD additional time to take their
exams or require them to finish "on time" (in fairness to the other
students, to help them develop coping skills, etc.)?  Similarly, do we
embrace multiple media to help students grasp concepts or do we stick
with the familiar media that we expect they will encounter throughout
their life?

2.  Although I respect for the work, relate to it in many ways, and I
truly appreciate the  doors it has opened and many of the changes it
has engendered, sometimes I have to wonder about how much damage
Gardner's Multiple Intelligences theory has done in education...

Kevin