[Air-l] Technology Transforming Education--EE-Learning

Dr. Steve Eskow drseskow at cox.net
Thu May 24 12:33:23 PDT 2007

 Chirs,

<<Your premise holds true presently because of the fact that most of the
individuals at the middle to higher ranks in the workforce are older and
digital immigrants. Your premise will definitely not be true in a generation
as the technology gets better.>>

Here's a hunch that goes in the other direction:

Textual and verbal literacy will retain their privileged positions as the
key to positions of power and control in society, and as the heart of
knowledge work.

As the natives becomes increasingly digital they may also become
increasingly image-oriented, and decreasingly print literate.

Education--schools and colleges--are assigned the task of providing the
knowledge and skills the general culture fail to provide.

As visual imagery and audio become increasingly pervasive in the general
culture, it will fall to the schools and colleges to provide the core skills
of print literacy which the digital natives will not develop by immersion in
the media.

What do you think?

Steve E.

 The hunch that you propose may be valid and worth further research. I
believe that the mixing of oil and water analogy may be true for people who
are not trained communicators/producers. Professors are taught to cover and
emphasize what to emphasize based on the content; whereas, as a
producer/writer who has produced and hosted instructional television for
years we are taught to focus on our audience first and to wrap the same
content with the same emphasis so that it has emphasis where it needs it
through the use of music, effects, voice and visual impact.