[Air-l] video of police riot in LA's macarthur park

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu May 3 18:04:05 PDT 2007

this may be of interest.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Sasha Costanza-Chock <costanza at usc.edu>
> Date: May 3, 2007 8:50:41 PM EDT
>

> This may be slightly offtopic, but I stayed up late last night cutting
> this video together so I'm sending it out to the world as part of
> my own
> catharsis and attempt to shake the creepy feeling that always comes
> over
> me after I watch armor clad police use batons on fleeing
> defenseless people.
>
> If you are not in LA, the story is that LAPD brutally attacked
> thousands
> of families celebrating international workers' day in downtown
> macarthur
> park, using rubber bullets, batons, motorcycles and chemical spray.
> They
> even attacked several members of the media, including Fox News and
> Telemundo correspondents! It was so ludicrous that they are no longer
> even attempting to spin it in the standard way (ie, 'we used
> controlled
> nonlethal force against a few troublemakers). They have abandoned that
> line and even the chief (bratton) has admitted that it got out of
> hand.
>
> I was there to support the event and to play music with my band
> fosforo.
> We were literally on the soundstage playing when the police attacked
> without clear warning. I happened to have a cam and hid behind a
> speaker
> stack to record everything.
>
> For you non-spanish speakers, the music is a cover of Bob Marley's
> 'War,' itself an interpretation of a speech by Haile Selassie I.
>
> The band is my band Fósforo, the footage is a mix of stuff shot by me,
> some shot by Larry Gross (!), and some pulled from la.indymedia.org
> and
> from YouTube at 2am.
>
> enjoy the (riot) porn.
>
> download at 43.5 megs
> http://la.indymedia.org/uploads/2007/05/fosforo_mayday_rough_cops.mp4
>
> or watch on myspace (lower quality):
> http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?
> fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=2026799363
>
> or if you must, youtube (still lower.):
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfkoULiI8N0
>
> For good firsthand accounts of what happened, check
> http://la.indymedia.org
>
> peace
> sasha

Jeremy Hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(www.cipr.uwm.edu)

Words are things; and a small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a
thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions,
think. --Byron