[Air-l] cfp; disagree with James Whyte (and who?)

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue May 8 08:07:05 PDT 2007

1. I disagree strongly with James Whyte, that we should segregate calls
for proposals, conferences, etc from this list. I daresay that it is the
lifeblood of this list for many scholars and important for most of the
rest. Indeed, as this is AoiResearchers, calls for publishing such
research is part of what distinguishes us from uninformed talkers.

2. James Whyte's request (and frequent posts) have made me (and some
others) wonder: who is James Whyte? Almost all posters to this list anchor
themselves institutionally thru their e-address or their sig. But I cannot
find such in Mr. Whyte's posting. And a quick check of the 20 items in
Google scholar wasn't useful, as "James Whyte" is more common than "Barry
Wellman" "Charles Ess" etc. G.Scholar came up with a variety of James
Whyte's. So James Whyte, in view of your frequent posts, I (and I think
some others) would appreciate knowing more about you, in order to put your
comments in context.

 Barry Wellman

  Barry Wellman   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology   NetLab Director
        for fun: http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php