[Air-l] Trolls. Lurking. And the "we" that should move on

William Bain willronb at yahoo.com
Sat May 19 00:30:39 PDT 2007

Steve Eskow wrote: >"Is there, then, the need for a totalizing decision for "us" to "move
on"?

  Steve, my view is that aoir is putting together its moving on in the ongoing discussions here. There is, obviously, an executive group, which consults the membership, probably more (just guessing) right here in the discussions than in f2f meetings. You're right that my post was generalizing my own perceptions and assuming a kind of monolithic organisational agreement on readers' part before really establishing a definite argument. From my side of the computer screen the air-l group assessment seems to be that no general (if that is what totalizing means in this case) decision on the part of aoir membership neaeds to be established as basic policy. Or the basic polciy already exists that malicious trolling is considered inappropriate & flaming if it gets out of hand will bring exec warnings and possibly exclusion from listserv. I think gettning any ore specific than that would be unwarranted totalizing,actually. My general and lurkerish dos centavos fwiw :)

  wrb

William Bain
PhD Student
Comparative Literature