[Air-l] FW: Short list of new PhD's for AoIR Newsletter

Charles Balch Ph.D. charlie at balch.org
Thu May 31 17:25:23 PDT 2007

Dr. Rall is correct. Please add Dr. Balch ("Charlie") to the list of recent
PhDs who monitor this list. I need to update my VITA at
http://charlie.balch.org/card but the following is probably more than most
list members want to know.

Current VITA:
Professor of Computer Information Systems
Arizona Western College
Yuma, AZ
charlie at balch.org

Dissertation Abstract:
Balch, Charles V.
B.S., University of California at Davis, 1984
M.Ed., University of the Virgin Islands, 1991
MBA, University of the Virgin Islands, 1996
Doctor of Philosophy, LSU, 2007
Major: Educational Theory, Policy, and Practice
Balch Internet Research and Analysis Tool Development Case Study
Dissertation directed by Professor Jerry Willis
Pages in Dissertation, 217. Words in Abstract, 183.
Abstract
The Internet has become increasing popular as a vehicle to deliver surveys.
An essential objective of research is to collect accurate data and there has
been little work to insure that Internet survey systems are employing best
practices as defined by academic and professional research to collect data.
My dissertation reviews the current literature relating to best practices in
Internet survey design and best practices in software design and
development. I then document the development and deployment of an Open
Source and publicly licensed Internet survey system that allows researchers
to easily create, deploy, and analyze the results of Internet surveys. The
resultant Internet survey design product, the Balch Internet Research and
Analysis Tool (http://birat.net) is a full-featured Internet survey system
which addresses best Internet research practices as defined by academic and
professional research. The system was designed and coded by the author and
is considered by him to be both innovative and unique to the field. The
dissertation then reviews the system features, describes how the system was
deployed, and discusses the strategies used to increase use and adoption of
the system.