[Air-l] Digg user 'riot' going on now

Christine Moellenberndt chris at inreach.com
Wed May 2 09:27:07 PDT 2007

Kevin Guidry wrote:
>    Compare with the similar experience Slashdot went through several
> years ago when Jon Katz announced that he was going to (or perhaps
> already had done so - can't recall) publish users' comments in one of
> his books without attribution or permission.  That seemed to be more
> of an ownership and copyright issue than a "selling out" issue but if
> your assertions are correct then there are some similarities.

For /. ownership and copyright was the big issue (I was involved in that
to a degree, in fact I think my first ever /. comment was to that
posting.. *sniff* MEMORIES!!), but I think the idea underlying that was
still this idea of "selling out" users in order to make a buck.  And in
that was a morality too... /. had always been seen as a "not evil"
website, one of the "good guys" who "get it."  When Katz announced the
book thing, it suddenly made /. part of "The Man" who just wanted to
make a buck and didn't care about wider community issues and loyalties.

I've seen this in several online communities as well, and the passion
that surrounds them fascinates me, almost as much as seeing how so many
companies just don't "get it."  I was involved with an online comic
strip for several years and saw it myself, and ended up as point person
at one point having to answer the calls of "sell out!" myself.  That's a
hard thing to do, because once geeks make up their mind you've sold
out... it's hard to recapture their trust (please note that I use geek
as a geek myself, and as a positive descriptor :)).  Geeks want to see
their favourite sites make money so they can stay in business... but
there's a fine line in how you can make that money and still stay "true."

I think Digg's blog post was a step in the right direction, and I do see
the front page of digg starting to recover...  but I'll be interested to
see if their volume changes over the next month or so.

This also reminds me of the DVD-encryption blowup that happened several
years ago as well, where the MPAA got some kind of injunction to keep
websites from distributing the code (it's been a while and the brain is
fuzzy from end-of-semester stress).  I love enterprising geeks, instead
of electronically distributing the code it was put on tshirts and all
other sorts of apparel.  I have a great tshirt I got at a convention
with the code on it, given away for free.  Ah, those were the days.

-Christine