[Air-l] "Validity” of citing internet sources?

joseph at gelfer.net joseph at gelfer.net
Wed May 2 21:19:12 PDT 2007

Hello list members

Can anyone point me in the direction of any peer-reviewed papers which argue
for the “validity” of citing internet sources as complements to regular
print sources?

Here’s the context: I work in the area of Religious Studies. I like to cite
church and religious organisation websites as an indicator of their
positions on various contemporary issues. I also like to cite blogs of
religious leaders who have significant public and publishing profiles, as
these often contain some pretty impassioned content that may not make it
through to “official” outlets.

Now I know some folks find using such online sources as unscholarly, even if
alongside all the traditional print sources. So what I’m after are papers
from reputable journals which make a good case for the use of such online
sources. Having had a look around the only papers I can find in the general
subject area are concerned with dead links/the percentage of URL references
which can no longer be verified.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph Gelfer.