[Air-l] on journals ... | direction of internet research as a discipline

James Whyte whyte.james at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 10:44:20 PDT 2007

Paul,

  Thanks for the  comparison to Poly Sci. It reflects the comment I made about disciplinarity and boundary disputes. The psychologist George Miller (I paraphrase) said, When someone tells me something I try to understand the circumstances it might be true."

  Poly Sci's growing pains required the intellectual tolerance to minimize boundary disputes.The study of the Internet/Netspace/webscience requires the same tolerance. Recent jabs a Berniers-Lee in this forum reflects intolerance and does not advance the field.

  At the time the comments remided me of a person sitting at a desk writing with disdain about Edison's invention of the light bulb and doing so in the light it provided.

  IMHO study of the Internet/Netspace is by nature transdisciplinary (not cross or multi) and for it to become a field it will have to resolve basic issues in perspective, vocabulary and method. Unfortunately, many voices who have attemted this have been silenced.

  James

Paul DiPerna <pdiperna at blauexchange.org> wrote:

I see a lot of parallels between political science and the development
of the internet research field. Though my perspective is slanted since
my roots are in poli sci.

Political Science, organized formally within APSA, has been around since
the days of Woodrow Wilson (specifically 1903). Yet while I was in grad
school, it struck me how much the field still struggles with
self-identity. Students and even some professors would periodically
raise questions asking what makes Political Science different from
Sociology?

In terms of theory, some would say the former is a natural extension of
the latter... generating middle-range theories and defined largely by
the wealth and types of observable data and subject matter. Ellis
mentioned this kind of disciplinary definition/parameter in her

For those who like historical contexts, you might be interested in this
presidential keynote speech given in 1904, at the first APSA
conference: http://www.apsanet.org/imgtest/190405AddrGOODNOW.pdf

APSA aside, I'm pretty sure the "political science" field (at least in
the U.S.) has been around for almost 150 years.. and there are still
some discipline identity issues.

On a separate tangent, it will be interesting to see the progression of
the Berners-Lee/ Web Science Research Initiative
(http://www.webscience.org/), and how it grows with respect to the
already established internet research field.

Do folks here see "Web Science" becoming a part of AoIR?

do you see WSRI as bringing added value to a larger field of internet
research?

or do you see this movement as reinventing the wheel?

- Paul

Ellis Godard wrote:

I'm curious how many others think/believe/expect this.

Disciplines can be defined by their subject matter, methods, or
perspectives (typically some combination), but AOIR is diverse in all
three of these
regards - and intentionally (perhaps even increasingly) so.

Even if those fascinated with "inter-/trans-"/boundary-crossing focus
their career attention within AOIR, and those of us with disciplinary
inclinations depart, to what extent can unbounded diversity provide a
foundation for a
home anything, much less a home discipline?

http://www.aoir.org/