[Air-l] we need a better word than lurking

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Mon May 7 16:05:48 PDT 2007

Call me old-fashioned but the term doesn't bother me, and I'm a
"Professional-Lurker."  LOL  I stick with the term "lurker" because it
ties into the existing literature and media representation of those who
watch but don't actively "talk" in online spaces.  I think that is
important.  However, I do think we need to define the term so the
meaning can move for its pejorative implications to a more positive
definition.

I often prefer to "redefine" a term rather then to let someone else's
definition control my usage.

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN USA and
IUPUC, Columbus IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com