[Air-l] we need a better word than lurking

James Whyte whyte.james at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 16:29:18 PDT 2007

It is another word for Nixon's "Silent Majority".

  IMHO, If you placed announcements for conference and call for papers out of the main listserv there might be some bandwidth for serious discusions.Please don't interpret my statement as derisive of such posting. I have often thought how valuable such postings are. But they do fill the mailbox.

  Barry is correct in saying that if everyone was a contributor, the result would be chaos.

  James

Kevin Guidry <krguidry at gmail.com> wrote:
  On 5/7/07, Nancy Baym wrote:
> Funny you mention that. Just a few minutes ago I was working on a
> paper and when I got to the point where I wanted to talk about
> "lurkers" I stopped and chose "invisible participants" instead.

I'd like to hear more about this decision. I find it difficult to
describe those who do not, well, participate as participants. I
assume your definition of participation is different from mine.

Kevin

http://www.aoir.org/