[Air-l] Online Activism -- empirical research references?

Noriko Hara nhara at indiana.edu
Tue May 8 13:50:07 PDT 2007

Dear Paul,

I meant to send you e-mail earlier, but I was busy finishing up the
semester (i.e., grading).

Here are some of my own works that would be of interest to you:

Hara, N., & Estrada, Z. C.  (2005). Analyzing the mobilization of grassroots activities via the Internet: A case study.
 Journal of Information Science, 31(6), 503-514.  Also published in FirstMonday, 8(12).
http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue8_12/hara/index.html

Hara, N., & Shachaf, P. (in press). Online peace movement organizations: A
comparative analysis. In I. Chen & T. Kidd (Eds.). Social information
technology: Connection society and cultural issues. Hershey, PA: Idea Group.
Preprint is available at: http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~nhara/paper/HaraShachaf-peace.pdf

The second article includes a section of future research directions and further readings.

I am currently working on a paper about MoveOn's grassroots campaigns during 2004.

Hope this helps,

Noriko

Noriko Hara, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Information Science
SLIS Indiana University, Bloomington
Tel: 812-855-1490       Fax: 812-855-6166