[Air-l] we need a better word than lurking

James Whyte whyte.james at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 10:19:40 PDT 2007

According to advertised estimates, AIR-L has 1700 enrolees. According to my estimates approximately 370 have posted something in the last year. That is a better than average participation according to John Veitch.

  I can think of many reasons people might not participate actively. But it is only speculation. I want to know, at some level, this population. I don't like value judgement based on speculating about someones intent.

  I want "Lurkers". I want to get to know them and to make my assessment based on good evidence, instead of folklore.

  James.

Christine Moellenberndt <chris at inreach.com> wrote:
  jerichob at juno.com wrote:
> This thread was introduced because someone didn't think lurking should
> be considered a bad thing, and thus should have a label with less
> negative connotations, but in the discussion some fairly strong
> normative judgments about lurkers and lurking have emerged which seem
> to indicate that having a word with negative connotations is
> warranted. It's interesting.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that "having a word with negative
connotations" is a good thing... but the way I see it, this is a word
that the Internet community chose to describe these people. Who are we
to say "wow you know what, that word is bad. We're going to pick another
one and use that instead because we don't like it."

If it's the word in common usage, then I say use it. Why create a new
jargon term, when one already exists? ;)

I don't really know if lurking *is* considered a bad thing... maybe
frustrating in channels that were once highly active and now are not,
therefore needing a desperate infusion of new ideas and new blood... but
I'd rather see someone lurk for a while and then participate (like me.
hi!), instead of jumping in with both feet not knowing how things are
done and causing an uproar that can upset the flow of discussions. I've
seen *that* happen too many times before :)

(sorry if someone brought this up before, I got lost in the thread for a
bit!)

-Christine

http://www.aoir.org/