[Air-l] where does the term "lurking" come from

Neil Randall nrandall at watarts.uwaterloo.ca
Thu May 10 17:39:49 PDT 2007

>Heck, I don't like that, either, though. Still too negative. There is
immense value in having lots of people connected, even if most are silent.

Yes. And since there's always the possibility that they could contribute,
"lurk" and "lurker" seem perfectly valid terms. Does anyone actually use the
term pejoratively in reference to Internet communication? I haven't seen
this.

And besides, it's well established in its newer definition, I would suggest.

Neil Randall