[Air-l] JCMC 12.3, April 2007

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Sat May 12 12:11:52 PDT 2007

Not sure I saw a copy of this go to the list.  Pardon me if this is a
duplicate...

--elijah

----

The Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication has just published
(April 2007) a double-themed special issue:

Theme I: The Social, Political, Economic, and Cultural Dimensions of
Search Engines, guest edited by Eszter Hargittai

Theme II: Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Religion and Computer-Mediated
Communication, guest edited by Charles Ess (with Akira Kawabata and
Hiroyuki Kurosaki)

The table of contents is appended below. All current and past JCMC
articles can be accessed at: http://jcmc.indiana.edu/

---
Contents of JCMC - Volume 12, Issue 3, April 2007
---

Special Theme I: The Social, Political, Economic, and Cultural
Dimensions of Search Engines

1.  The Social, Political, Economic, and Cultural Dimensions of Search
Engines: An Introduction
 	- Eszter Hargittai

2.  Heuristic and Systematic Use of Search Engines
 	- Werner Wirth, Tabea Böcking, Veronika Karnowski, and Thilo von Pape

3.  In Google We Trust: Users' Decisions on Rank, Position, and Relevance
 	- Bing Pan, Helene Hembrooke, Thorsten Joachims, Lori Lorigo, Geri
Gay, and Laura Granka

4.  Searching for Culture-High and Low
 	- Jennifer Kayahara and Barry Wellman

5.  Learning to Search and Searching to Learn: Income, Education, and
Experience Online
 	- Philip N. Howard and Adrienne Massanari

6.  Is Relevance Relevant? Market, Science, and War: Discourses of
Search Engine Quality
 	- Elizabeth Van Couvering

7.  Equal Representation by Search Engines? A Comparison of Websites
across Countries and Domains
 	- Liwen Vaughan and Yanjun Zhang

8.  Google Bombing from a Time Perspective
 	- Judit Bar-Ilan

Special Theme II: Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Religion and
Computer-Mediated Communication

9.  Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Religion and Computer-Mediated
Communication
 	- Charles Ess (with Akira Kawabata and Hiroyuki Kurosaki)

10. Diaspora on the Electronic Frontier: Developing Virtual Connections
with Sacred Homelands
 	- Christopher Helland

11. Internet Use among Religious Followers: Religious Postmodernism in
Japanese Buddhism
 	- Kenshin Fukamizu

12. Online-Religion in Japan: Websites and Religious Counseling from a
Comparative Cross-Cultural Perspective
 	- Akira Kawabata and Takanori Tamura

13. Conflict and Intolerance in a Web Community: Effects of a System
Integrating Dialogues and Monologues
 	- Mitsuharu M. Watanabe

14. Who's Got the Power? Religious Authority on the Internet
 	- Heidi Campbell

15. Islam, Jihad, and Terrorism in Post 9/11 Arabic Discussion Boards
 	- Rasha A. Abdulla

16. Islam and Online Imagery on Malaysian Tourist Destination Websites
 	- Noor Hazarina Hashim, Jamie Murphy, and Nazlida Muhamad Hashim

17. Virtually Sacred: The Performance of Asynchronous Cyber Rituals in
Online Spaces
 	- Stephen Jacobs

18. Technological Modernization, the Internet, and Religion in Singapore
 	- Randolph Kluver and Pauline H. Cheong

---
The Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication is an open-access,
peer-reviewed scholarly journal. It has been published on the Web
quarterly since June 1995.
http://jcmc.indiana.edu/
---