[Air-l] Doctorow on Dealing With Trolls

James Whyte whyte.james at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 09:50:56 PDT 2007

Has anyone in this organization actually made the attempt to get to know Reid Cornwell. His telephone number is on his emails. If so, what did that produce. Is he a jerk devoid of valuable qualities? What?

  Is everyone willing to accept the assertions unquestioned? From a scholarly point of view, one would think this malevolent character would be the object of curiosity as the poster child for Internet deviancy.IMHO true scholarship demands that one interrogate the accusers and the accused and determine for oneself what is the truth.

  Is it possible that WRC has been labeled a troll and the accusers are reifiying the label so that they don't have to be accountable?

  I'd be willing to bet Reid Cornwell would be willing to talk to anyone that called (friend or foe). It seems he is too up front to do otherwise.

  E.G. Boring nailed this whole drama 79 years ago.

  James.

Jeremy Hunsinger <jhuns at vt.edu> wrote:
  Yes, I think we should be very wary of getting involved with dr. reid
cornwell. his empire is expanding of course. if you google him you
will see that he has at least 3 different institutes/centers/
foundations all related to his corporate entity, he has several
conferences, which he seems intent on leveraging academic expertise
to promote. To me, it sounds very much like a profit from
conferences system, leveraging academic expertise, which I find
distasteful. I also find it distasteful that he has appropriated the
emails from the list and is spamming members. It is spam in as much
as it was unrequested and there is one profit making entity
involved. If you received his personal invitations, i suggest you
think twice, because it is likely that everyone on the list received
very much the same invitation. I personally wouldn't want to have
one of his conferences on my vita, i think it would have negative
mojo to some people who have been bothered by him before.

Jeremy Hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(www.cipr.uwm.edu)

Words are things; and a small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a
thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions,
think. --Byron

http://www.aoir.org/