[Air-l] laptops and Internet access in class

Evelyn Grooten evelyngrooten at gmail.com
Fri May 18 07:55:21 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I've been a lurker for a while now on this list, but now I need to bud
in... I recently graduated, and I liked using my computer in class! I
find it very exciting to be able to google things that are mentioned
in class, and that I recognize, but don't really remember the
background from. Also, it makes a lot of sense to be IMing other
students about the subject, since they have a lot of other insights
and information on the topic. They can answer questions fast and
quietly, without having to interrupt the teacher. Next to that, it is
better to be typing, than to be whispering, every teacher will agree
with that, I think...

Banning the use of laptops and wireless networking would have
inhibited my own creative flow in class, as interesting links between
the topic of the class and my own interests would not have been able
to be pursued right away. If I have to wait until I sit behind a
computer to google something, I most likely forget and not do it.

so for me: Banning internet access is stopping creative flows!

eve