[Air-l] students on lists

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri May 18 04:58:32 PDT 2007

I would also note that many members of this list are not either a
professor or ph.d. student.  We have many professionals and
practitioners.

In regards to the issues of the 'imposter syndrome' in academia.
Which I've known people to express all the way through their
careers.  I know full professors who still don't think they 'belong',
'know what they are supposed to', and/or feel  like an imposter.  I
think this is a great tragedy.  I think  that is clear that it exists
in many graduate students.   I think that it is more of a condition
of dare i say it.... 'postmodernity' than anything else.  It is
related to the 'fragmentation' of knowledge(though it was never
whole), hyper-specialization, desconstruction of canons(if there was
ever any fixed canons). It is no longer possible to be an expert in
the field of communication within the academy... you have to be x
clarified y, limited by z communication:), whereas compared to
outside the academy... knowledge creation and maintenance are clearly
the basis of broad category expertise, even when people seem to have
little more than opinions, they can be an expert outside.  thus there
is an insider/outsider dynamic too, but it is complicated by
constructions of differing constructions of expertise.    Outside
expertise is constructed as broad knowledges, inside it is
constructed as exacting knowledges.  Everyone in the cable-tv/USA
Today generations likely feels that as an origin of imposter syndrome.

However, I for one would like students to know that... they are
experts, and knowledged people before they start their programs, and
the process of education is one of refinement of that knowledge
through addition of tools, concepts, experiences, etc.  I think AoIR
has tried to be inclusive and encouraging, though we could probably
do more:)