[Air-l] [Air-L] Research question: interviewing online subjects

Erika Pearson erika.pearson at stonebow.otago.ac.nz
Sun May 20 13:12:13 PDT 2007

interesting points

I used the word immoral as it has come up from time to time in the
literature (and is what got me started thinking about this in the
first place - what is 'immoral' in a religious discussion group may
be grist for the mill on a slash fanfic mailing list!).  In a similar
vein, what is illegal in one country is not in another - I am reading
this because I am thinking about constructing a project that involves
looking at online material which is skirting in contested territory
regarding copyright - how can I satisfactorily define what is
'illegal' and reportable behaviour for myself and for those my
research brings me into contact with?  What constitutes reportable
behaviour, in which jurisdiction, and where, when and to whom should
I report?  Almost certainly the people I will be talking to will be
under other systems of national law to me - do I have to familiarize
myself with every legal system? (does grant money cover a legal team?
*g*)

Like you said, making these things clear and explicit is important
for building trust and rapport, as well as (I would argue) part of
good practice of being a researcher, so thanks for your reply, Paul,
it's certainly added grist to the mill (or fuel to the fire!)

erika

  ~~
Erika Pearson
Dept. of Media, Film and Communication.