[Air-l] Technology Transforming Education

Kevin Guidry krguidry at gmail.com
Tue May 22 14:17:48 PDT 2007

On 5/22/07, Dr. T. Michael Roberts <dr_haqiqah at yahoo.com> wrote:

> We are moving, in practice, toward an educational system where the good
> students learn online and the students who need lots of help are taught face to face.

   I can't help but view this discussion through the lens of (a) my
student affairs background and (b) current trends in funding,
financial aid, and access in the United States.
   Given that, it seems to me that ideally the decision of how one
should "attend class" would be made primarily based on the learner's
desired learning style.  But I think it's pretty clear that many other
factors play into this, including economics (on both the supply and
demand sides) and pressures related to cultural and personal
circumstances.  Further, it has not been my experience that many
students, particularly undergraduates, choose to "attend" online
classes because it's their preferred style.  Instead, they seem to
choose it because of the flexibility in scheduling, geographic
independence, and course/instructor availability.  I am sure that is
changing over time but it relates strongly to a previous comment about
demand outstripping supply as institutions try to balance or increase
their resources.
   On a broader scale, SES *has* to play a role in this.  Will we
eventually move into a future where only the rich can afford (a word
with many denotations and connotations) a traditional, face-to-face
education?  Will residential liberal arts institutions remain the
domain of the elite as others "choose" distance education (because
it's cheaper, not because it offers an equivalent or better
education)?

Kevin