[Air-l] Technology Transforming Education--EE-Learning

Dr. Steve Eskow drseskow at cox.net
Wed May 23 19:49:33 PDT 2007

Marj,

>>> "Dr. Steve Eskow" <drseskow at cox.net> 05/24/07 10:43 AM >>>
<snip>
Premise: success in the middle and upper ranks of the work force depend on
print literacy.
<snip>

Is this really the case - or do the middle and upper ranks communicate
verbally while the underlings read the reports and write the position
papers? >>

I think this matter deserves some formal study, although I suspect much has
already been done. Can someone here point to some such research?

Another guess: even if true, college graduates probably ought to be prepared
to start as "underlings," able to read the reports and write the position
papers.

<<<In any case, given how quickly life and learning are changing I'd be
reluctant to base teaching methods and curriculum on current workplace
practices. The problem is how best to prepare students for a lifetime of
learning across a number of career and lifestyle choices.>>

What's your guess, Marj? How do we "best prepare students for a liretime of
learning across a number of career and lifestyle choices?"

My guess is this--and I'm assuming we have to guess:

What you and I are doing now: communicating across continents
asynchronously, using simple text unadorned with images, will continue to be
a central mode of communication in the workplace of tomorrow: indeed, as
businesses, including the academic business, dematerialize, move out of a
bounded location ("campus" in our case), students who need audio and images
to communicate will be increasingly handicapped.

You and I can read with comprehension at 3,4,600 words a minute, while we
can't really understand speech when it's faster than 150 words a minute.

Another piece of evidence: the much touted "paperless office" never
materialized. Text continues to accumulate, continues to be a (the?) central
carrier of information and meaning.

In any event, we, like the Brits of the Open University, have to answer the
question your raise right now for our institutions, and run the risk of
having history show that we were wrong.

I have to pass on the koala bit. If you want to study New Age believers in
crystals and channeling we'd be happy to have you come to California to
study with us.

Or: we can put together a pretty good course on The New Age in California
and you can settle for what you can learn about us at a distance.

Steve Eskow