[Air-l] Technology Transforming Education--EE-Learning

Rhiannon Bury buryrc at rogers.com
Thu May 24 09:02:08 PDT 2007

Just to say I've been following this thread with great interest and have
come out of "lurking" mode (another great thread) simply to say that I
agree that such technologies enable and enhance certain types of
practices but disable or take away from others. I take Steve's  point
about crtically examining the reasons for any big push from university
administrations. If it's assumed to be a cost-saving measure, then don't
expect improved education. I also agree with Nancy that unmotivated
students and distance ed are a very bad combination. Distance ed and
online courses in particular at UW are becoming very central on on
campus students. I was told by the Director of the unit that half the
students enrolled are now regular students who are working alot and
prefer to take electives via DE.

Rhiannon Bury
University of Waterloo