[Air-l] Why Am I Only Communicating with Text?

Charles Balch Ph.D. charlie at balch.org
Sat May 26 07:15:38 PDT 2007

Steve E writes:
Can you really find or create an image that you might send us that would
tell us "We saw everything we needed to see."

Bet you can't do it.

----
Charlie B replies:
Beyond the obvious that I can't send images to this list to meet your
challenge, could it be that most every piece of artwork is incomplete as the
artist failed to do their work in text?

The Internet provides delivery of a lot more than text. I'm not suggesting
that *all* the communication of the American Association of Internet
Researchers should be hieroglyphic or any other media format (including
text) but I suggest we should be open to a variety of media.

It is interesting that creators of text are often called authors while
creators of other media are called artists. I'd like to be both author and
artist. Only authors are allowed at AOIR...

Every communication channel has unique and exciting possibilities,
interesting pitfalls, and reception requirements. If members can't receive a
picture, I'd like to know why.

Perhaps there are other reasons that our communication should be
constrained. Beware of geeks bearing gifs. <GRIN>