[Air-l] last.fm group

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Tue May 29 13:03:33 PDT 2007

> Thanks for the reference. I did once check into the "top players" of
> particular groups and they seem to be playing those tracks an infeasible
> number of times. As you say, there's definitely an element of gaming the
> system going on. Relatedly, I wonder if we'll get a story of "so and so"
> sacked/disciplined for playing unsuitable music during working hours
> with their scrobbler record being used as evidence.

out of curiosity, what order of magnitude is "an unfeasible number of
times" in this case?  10^4+? or somewhere around 10^3?

i have a few tracks in my iTunes on campus that have been played a LOT
more than is average for that sort of thing - either because I played them
on repeat, or in a loop, or something similar.  [Soundtracks ripped as
single mp3 files are particularly prone to this.... especially if you
leave them running overnight by accident.]

--e