[Air-l] Lurkers, lookers, active observers?

Kevin Guidry krguidry at gmail.com
Tue May 8 07:44:05 PDT 2007

On 5/8/07, Roxanne Hiltz <roxanne.hiltz at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I like both "Lookers" and "Readers" but also like for a more formal term,
>  "Active Observers"
>   This means that they do read regularly, and that they think about
> what they are reading...

   I think I've figured out what bothers me about many of these
labels: they're aspirational and not necessarily descriptive of the
intent or actions of those who are not participating.  I'd love to
think that those who are not actively or even occasionally
participating by replying or writing new messages, in public or in
private, are actively reading and processing the interactions and
discussions (perhaps offline or in a different medium).  But I have no
way of knowing if that is happening and extending my hopes onto these
nameless, voiceless people via a carefully selected label seems to be
a bit careless.

Kevin