[Air-l] indie music scenes + internet

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Wed May 9 12:58:39 PDT 2007

Thank you for that link, Fred. She may be too modest to say so, but
Holly's own book 'Site and Sound: Understanding Independent Music
Scenes' Peter Lang, 2003, is also required reading.

A couple of other relevant things I have in hand since I am exploring
this topic as well:

Michael Ayers's edited collection "Cybersounds: Essays on Virtual
Music Culture"

and

Kenton O'Hara and Barry Brown's edited collection "Consuming Music
Together: Social and Collaborative Aspects of Music Consumption
Technologies."

I would be particularly grateful for any additional recommended
readings specifically regarding online music fans.

Nancy

>A must-read on the topic
>
>Butch Lazorchak (founder of Squealer Music)
>CH-Scene: Communication Theories and Musical Communities
>
>http://www.ibiblio.org/squealer/butchhome/Ch_Scene/ch_scene_communication.htm
>

>On Wed, 9 May 2007, Holly Kruse wrote:
>
>>  I'm starting to work on a book chapter that I was asked to write for a
>  > collection on music geographies
Nancy Baym	http://www.ku.edu/home/nbaym
Communication Studies, University of Kansas
Bailey Hall, 1440 Jayhawk Blvd., Room 102, Lawrence, KS 66045-7574, USA
Blog: http://www.onlinefandom.com