[Air-l] we need a better word than lurking

Neil Randall nrandall at watarts.uwaterloo.ca
Thu May 10 14:01:38 PDT 2007

> I don't think anyone would disagree that a "troll" is someone who is
violating the established, historical conventions of the listserv in an
antagonistic fashion.

Except that "troll" was originally a verb in Internet usage. It was the act
of injecting comments, often subtle digs, into a discussion for the purpose
of getting people upset. It was the fishing sense of trolling.

So in that sense, flaming is not troll-like behaviour.

The names of actions and programs in the early years of the Internet showed
a delightful creativity that I think we should avoid losing. "Lurk" still
strikes me as perfect; and "ping", "finger", etc. had their superb moments.

Neil Randall