[Air-l] we need a better word than lurking

Martin Garthwaite marting at gmail.com
Thu May 10 15:50:13 PDT 2007

James,

You're correct, but I'n not sure what you're describing is lurking. Many
years ago I was a sysop on a Novell newsgroup / usenet supporting a
commercial companies products for free, why? Well when I needed the answer
to a question I would go to the support group and look for answers, it just
so happened that I knew the answers to a lot of questions that others were
posting so I would answer them. Novell staff monitored this group, but did
not provide answers to questions. If an individual posted enough quality
asnwers they would invite you to become a sysop (system operator). The point
I'm making is that a list server such as this distributes to all members,
just because you may not be interested in 90% of what comes your way does
not make you a lurker. When you need an answer or advice you often get it,
that's the point right? If I know the answer to a questioned asked I will
answer it, it maybe once a week, once a month, once a year.

--
Martin Garthwaite

PhD candidate, London Knowledge Lab www.lkl.ac.uk

+447957 764819