[Air-l] [AOIR 8.0] Vancouver Conference Update #2 (May 8, 2007)

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri May 11 07:04:57 PDT 2007

> IRC has been used successfully in the past, and I suspect that
> twitter might
> be popular, too. Some people have managed a twitter/facebook
> melding, even.
> I was at a conference recently that started up and maintained for
> several
> weeks afterward (it may still be going on for all I know) a skype
> group text
> chat as a back channel.

AoIR's registered irc channel... still exists.  We registered it for
IR 6.0  and it is still registered.  You can find it on the Freenode
network as #aoir-general

> What about SecondLife? I am not the most adept SL person on the
> planet, but
> I can see how it might be fun to "meet" there while the event is
> on. There
> will be a SecondLife pre-conference workshop, and perhaps some of
> those
> people would be interested in constructing a virtual conference in
> SL. I can
> get architectural drawings, if you want them...

Hmm, there are groups interested in working with this.  I'm pretty
sure we can use an number of  spaces should we desire.   I work with
Joi Ito in his Joi Lab and his Kula Island in SL, we have one of the
big 4 sim theaters designed by Aimee Weber and can have well over 100
avatars in it at once.  That's a possibility, but I suspect that
groups like Pleides.ca  or Metaversality might be interested in doing
something at the conference.

jeremy hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(www.cipr.uwm.edu)

wiki.tmttlt.com
www.tmttlt.com

http://www.stswiki.org/  sts wiki