[Air-l] research on factors driving traffic to web sites

Elizabeth Van Couvering e.j.van-couvering at lse.ac.uk
Tue May 15 02:05:01 PDT 2007

You want to look in the journals of interactive marketing, as this
topic is of major interest to business.

In a very general sense, some traffic will be based on searches, some
on recommendations given or sent in person or by email, some loyal
readers will use bookmarks and some people will come from links from
other websites, and a very little traffic (typically) will come from
promotions in other media.

You could use link analysis (see some of Mike Thelwall's work) to
assess the linkage patterns; there are some other tools that will let
you investigate the number of search queries per month (look in the
tools for advertisers on the Google website).  Assessing promotional
activity through other media might be difficult unless the sites in
question would tell you what they've been up to.

If you have a site with a lot of traffic, Nielsen//NetRatings track
referrals from other sites - you could call and ask and they might
give you the data for free.  But the sites have to be popular or they
don't show up on the panel.

Or - you could ask the websites in question to let you see their log
files.  But I doubt they would.

Good luck.

Elizabeth