[Air-l] Doctorow on Dealing With Trolls

Mary-Helen Ward mhward at usyd.edu.au
Wed May 16 20:46:02 PDT 2007

A listserv is a voluntary community. It isn't like a school, or a church
or a university class where people may feel community sanctions or even
discipline if they don't attend and contribute. The mores, folkways,
whatever you want to call them,  are easily intuited - you simply lurk
on a list for a while to get a feeling for the kind of discourse that is
acceptable there. Of course they are subjective - they are produced as
the result of continuing interactions, and they aren't fixed either. We
make them up as we go along, to a large extent, although there are often
listowners or moderators who will have the last word. It's their list;
they can decide.

But you can learn these boundaries if you want to. You can choose to
live within them, you can choose to try and stretch them, or you can
choose to violate them. All of these actions will have consequences for
you in that community and yo can examine the consequenbces and decide
how to proceed next. It's fluid and it cnages all te time. Like life,
really.

A troll trolls - I'm not sure why using the word as a noun or a verb
really changes the relationship between the troll and the list.

M-H

--
Best wishes

Mary-Helen
__
Educational Developer
Flexible Online Learning Team
USyd eLearning
Office of the Pro Vice Chancellor, Teaching and Learning