[Air-l] Doctorow on Dealing With Trolls

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu May 17 05:46:54 PDT 2007

Yes, I think we should be very wary of getting involved with dr. reid
cornwell.   his empire is expanding of course.  if you google him you
will see that he has at least 3 different institutes/centers/
foundations all related to his corporate entity, he has several
conferences, which he seems intent on leveraging academic expertise
to promote.  To me, it sounds very much like a profit from
conferences system, leveraging academic expertise, which I find
distasteful.  I also find it distasteful that he has appropriated the
emails from the list and is spamming members.  It is spam in as much
as it was unrequested and there is one profit making entity
involved.  If you received his personal invitations, i suggest you
think twice, because it is likely that everyone on the list received
very much the same invitation.  I personally wouldn't want to have
one of his conferences on my vita, i think it would have negative
mojo to some people who have been bothered by him before.

Jeremy Hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(www.cipr.uwm.edu)

Words are things; and a small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a
thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions,
think. --Byron