[Air-l] Doctorow on Dealing With Trolls

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Thu May 17 12:09:47 PDT 2007

Jeremy:

I respect your work and your intellect, but I actually took you up on
your challenge and found Cornwell to be quite reasonable and
fascinating. I had found some of his points to be valid in the past but
I had never talked to him, and I think that it would be prudent for a
person as gifted as you are intellectually to keep and open mind and be
receptive to ideas from those who may differ in approach from you. Even
Larry Flynt and Jerry Falwell found that they actually liked one another
once they reasoned together despite their two polar opposite views on
morality and politics. I believe that the guest list from his conference
is impressive, and I spoke with some colleagues on Capital Hill about
this conference and they are planning on coming.

For example, Barbara McCombs is one of the foremost experts in the area
of learner centered education and she has actually created guidelines
for APA's National Headquarters in Washington. This is why there is a
buzz going on about this conference in Washington because she has a
following in the DC metro area, and so do many of the other speakers.
There are others who are equally well-known individuals who will be
participating at this conference and I do not agree with you that it
will make their vita suspect. In fact, I think that it may be benefit
those who participate because of the number of other great minds who
will be presenting. One could call this guilt by association in a
positive sense rather than the negative one that has been suggested.
Many of the presenters are in high demand and they are usually
compensated because they are the best. I know that you are not
suggesting that the leading scholars in academia should not be
compensated well because that is an idea that led academia to lose their
best minds to the business world because of financial reasons like the
dying of tenure.

Academia can learn one thing from business: the customer, or the
student, is the reason that the institutions of higher learning exists.
Therefore, it is imperative that each of us as scholars dedicate
ourselves to increasing graduation rates, embracing low-cost digital and
open-sourced publishing and developing our human capital especially with
lower-social economic groups and minorities. These students are
competing in a global economy and this will require new approaches that
may differ from traditional education as your colleague in Madison Dr.
J.P. Gee has been suggesting for several years. The fact that any
academic conference may be profit driven is not disturbing to me as long
as the conference is learner centered and geared towards assisting
scholars in becoming better communicators and learner centered. All
education begins with communications, and unfortunately as a
communications professional and a scholar, I find that this is the
problem in education in general: too many of us did not embrace, perfect
or even study communications and therefore we talk at our students and
one another and not to our students and one another.

At the end of the day its your choice, but you are brilliant, do not
major in minors because frankly it is beneath you and you are capable of
so much more based on your vita and your talks on this board alone. Name
calling is one of the tenets of propaganda that each of us should try to
avoid because it usually has a boomerang effect. Keep up your great
work!

Chris