[Air-l] dealing with spam and trolls

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Fri May 18 05:11:40 PDT 2007

> I also see that I have received the Cornwell spam for the first time but
> bizarrely giving me the opportunity to unsubscribe.

My first notice was a note that I had been unsubscribed.  ;)

> I've heard that some spam works by sending a message that asks you to
> unsub but in fact you end up actually getting your addressed grabbed and
> used for even more spam. Truth or urban myth?

truth.

they (the spammers) want to confirm that an account they didn't really
know existed (but were guessing at the name of) is active.

once you know that something is active, you target it with spam for which
you would charge your scummy advertisers a higher rate...

--e