[Air-l] laptops and Internet access in class

Dr. Steve Eskow drseskow at cox.net
Fri May 18 12:01:33 PDT 2007

Julie,

Some unreliable thoughts on the question of laptops and classroom.

My own practice is "distance learning": the computer as the space of
learning.

Distance learning allows--as this list demonstrates--communities of
collaboration and conversation to be formed  by people scattered in time and
space. Women , for example, who have home responsibilities can be freed from
the need to be at a particular space at a particular time, and so can become
students: unless, of course, the teacher or the institution believes in the
importance of the face-to-face encounter, and requires one such meeting a
month, or a semester, or a year.

So: should distance learning programs require face-to-face meetings, or do
such meeting negate some of the important benefits of distance learning?

The laptop is at least two kinds of instruments.

It is, for one, a recording device, allowing for notetaking in the
face-to-face classroom, and other valuable extensions and enhancements of
the activities of the conventional classroom. and
lecture-recitation-discussion modes of instruction.

Using the laptop in this way does not remove the student from the classroom:
he or she continues to be "present."

The computer, however, is also a communicative space, a space which allows
the student to leave the classroom, to absent herself and think and talk
with others about matters not connected with those of the classroom.

So: the student is bodily present in the classroom but psychically absent.

The proponents of the "digital native" thesis argue that the new
computer-skilled student can "multi-task," can be in your classroom and on
this list at the same time, or in short alternating bursts of attention.

My hunch is that if I was to return to the face-to-face classroom I would
limit the use of computers, or ban them, or rethink and revise my
instruction so as to build in their use to my teaching.

Which means, of course, that I don't yet know how I come out on the matter.

Steve Eskow