[Air-l] Lurker and Participant Survey

James Whyte whyte.james at yahoo.com
Sat May 19 10:14:18 PDT 2007

I was with you up until you said there must be something "more going on", so I will address that point first. I think I take offense at the implication, but I will answer it anyway.

  As a participant in the list, I'm personally interested in the social processes of this list. It is that curiosity that drives the survey. At this point I don't know if it will have greater inplications. Secondly, I did run it by an IRB but their role in my life is advisory not controlling. Since no identifying data is requested, paticipation is the permission. Only one field asks such information and it is clearly optional.

  This is a personal project so I felt no particular need to ask permission from AOIR nor to seek their permission for anything.

  I have no ambitions at this point for publication. If I did so it would be in an open access organ. As I said in the initial post I will publish the results via a link in AIR-L.

  I have my own speculations and premises that led to the survey. They are just that,speulation nothing more. It is a preliminary investigation in advance of a hypothesis that is targeted to a limited universe. I will not openly speculate since I beleive it will color the results.

  I hope I have answered your questions. If not write me off-list and I will try again.

  James

The nature of the questions leads me to believe there is more going on here,
especially since the focus of the questions are on the AoIR list and its
members - feeling equal to others, sense of community and so forth - and
less so on lurkers and their behaviours (and they might be defined).