[Air-l] Academic traditions

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Tue May 22 09:21:23 PDT 2007

Caroline:

I concur! I am amazed at how many professors in the academic game do not
understand the history and research behind this technology that was
ironically created in large part and tested on the campuses of research
institutions under federal and corporate grants. Your assessment is
correct because the Ivy league schools (Harvard, Yale, Princeton etc),
major private institutions (Duke, Johns Hopkins, Stanford), technology
based schools (Cal-Poly,Georgia Tech, MIT)and many flagship universities
(Cal-Berkeley, Illinois-Champaign,Maryland,Michigan,Ohio State and
Texas-Austin) have already taken their offerings online (Rhodes, 2001)to
match the challenge posed by the University of Phoenix and others.
However, if one were to examine the federal defense based and medical
grants received by these research institutions over the course of
history since WWII, it is clear that the technology is not going away
and new professors will have to get with the program and start looking
at options like online publishing for environmental and financial
reasons (Willinsky, 2006). The key will be the new methods created by
and for learners by professors (Gee, 2005) such as video games.