[Air-l] laptops and Internet access in class

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Tue May 22 12:17:03 PDT 2007

Jericho:

I interviewed a Madison Avenue designer on Saturday who made the same
comments and he is also a paper/pen and computer designer who is
self-taught. He blamed the conformity imposed by formal education and
its emphasis on rigid standards. I have also seen this problem first
hand as a communications professional and a motion picture
producer/director. As a scholar and researcher, I believe that theory
and history are important, but I also believe that one needs to often
start teachings students concretely in the field on real projects with
professionals, so that the abstract theories can truly take hold and
this is what I have done for the past decade with my student interns who
have gone on to do great things professionally. As a person who lives in
both worlds, I see the problem that academics have with professionals
and vice versa and I see the student as often the victim. Why? The
student needs good grades to stay in school, qualify for grad school,
satisfy parents and to keep or gain scholarship dollars. Hence, the
professors word is law. Conversely, it is fair to say that many, if not
most professors, are not as grounded full-time in the real world and the
professional usually is a better expert on how to work in the every day
work environment. There needs to be a meeting of the minds that requires
both students and the professors to take the classroom to the work
environment. This was suggested to me by a Madison Avenue Advertising
executive. Neither side fully appreciates the gifts that each brings to
the equation. The professor can help teach a student to critically
analyze, evaluate and be creative. The professional can bring out the
full talent that resides within the student once they have the basics
mastered and have tested it in the field with fellow professionals.
Perhaps each student should have internships every semester that
involves satisfying qualifications for several classes simultaneously so
that students become accustomed to putting together multiple facets of a
project and using their imagination.

Chris