[Air-l] Technology Transforming Education

Dr. Steve Eskow drseskow at cox.net
Tue May 22 13:20:33 PDT 2007

Here are some thoughts, Charles, stimulated by your interesting post.

<<I think we are getting very close to instructional design that removes the
need for faculty. For many learners and some content, good instructional
designers are already creating content that outweighs the value added of the
instructor. Yes, such content costs a lot more than each delivery of "chalk
and talk" but, once created, the physical cost of delivery is marginal. Such
marginal cost would be an administrators dream unless they thought things
all the way through.>>

First: this assumes that good learning results from "design."

Most of what we learn we learn through undesigned experience and practice:
we learn to be students, athletes, parents, Republicans, Democrats, cooks,
adults, household repairers. . .without designed instruction. For this
reason there is body of educational practice that proposes a shift away from
immersion in the environment called "classroom" and an expansion of
"experiential learning": having students immersed in the "real world," and
connecting the experiences they have there to the disciplines.

Second, we have had brilliantly designed learning materials for centuries. I
have a sociology textbook in front of me that is "designed" to move a
student from sociological ignorance to expertise. It begins at the beginning
and moves the student to the complexities of sociology in easy--and
well-designed--stages. If design were enough, we wouldn't need sociology
instructors now.

And: there is a television series on sociology that accompanies the
textbook: brilliantly scripted, acted, filmed: designed. And yet we have
instructors.

Or: are you thinking of the notion that the computer can add dialog to the
design--become a tutor, ask the student the questions an instructor might
ask, and obviate the need for a live instructor by being a kind of
technological Socrates?

Clearly your logic is right: if "design" can eventually do all that an
instructor can do, the instructor is superfluous.

Perhaps, however,  all "design" can do is change the role of the instructor.

Steve Eskow