[Air-l] last.fm group

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Tue May 29 14:15:12 PDT 2007

>  > Thanks for the reference. I did once check into the "top players" of
>>  particular groups and they seem to be playing those tracks an infeasible
>>  number of times. As you say, there's definitely an element of gaming the
>>  system going on. Relatedly, I wonder if we'll get a story of "so and so"
>>  sacked/disciplined for playing unsuitable music during working hours
>>  with their scrobbler record being used as evidence.
>
>out of curiosity, what order of magnitude is "an unfeasible number of
>times" in this case?  10^4+? or somewhere around 10^3?

Last.fm has moved away from designating "top fans" based on # of
listens and don't report that info anymore (or use the word "fan"
which seemed to encourage this kind of gaming). Now they report the
week's "top listeners". I assume this is in response to ongoing
squabbling over 'cheaters' (last.fm forum terminology, not mine). The
discussions of this on the forums is interesting, because some people
are really offended by the fact that others do it, while still others
find it very hard to understand why it matters. It also leads to all
kinds of value judgements about the 'right' way to listen to music
and the right to judge how others' listen.

To answer the question about what constitutes unfeasible, here's an
example: I found it hard to believe that someone's listened to
108,328 REM songs since registering in March 2004. That's about 45