[Air-l] Blogs as source of socio-demographic data

Ellie Wix elliewix at gmail.com
Wed May 30 11:30:26 PDT 2007

I can only speak as a user, but I would be extremely cautious about the
relationships status area.  People often  list fictitous relationships that
are in-jokes between friends.  About half the time 'in a relationship' is
correct, but of the 5 people who I am friended with and are listed as
married, only 1 actually is.  Also, now that it doesn't restrict for school
emails, people can make fake accounts, or accounts for pets.  As an example,
I made a facebook account for my iguana who has a hometown of "In the corner
next to the snakes, IL" and is listed as married to my roommate.

As for location, hometown, political, and religion, I can't really say much
other than it is not uncommon to see people put in joking answers.