[Air-L] [SPAM: 7.500] Ethical approval for online data collection?

Sue Tait sue.tait at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Nov 20 02:25:52 PST 2007

Tomas - can you please provide a little more detail on the project you
imagine? Are you actually intending to collect data from facebook profiles,
or submit surveys, or is your project concerned with the development of
applications that would enable these forms of data generation? If the answer
is the former, then of course you need to go through the ethics process.
Ethics committees don't know much about emergent technologies and methods,
but they make it hard for you because their intention is to protect the
human subjects you intend working with. Try and see the process as something
you can learn from too - conducting research that is ethical should be our
primary consideration.