[Air-L] Immigrant internet use refs request

Marcelo Frediani marcelo.frediani at skynet.be
Sat Nov 24 14:13:26 PST 2007

Hi Andrew and Kathrin,

I read with great interest your post as I am studying a topic very close to
yours and that could be include within this large theme of Political
activism and the internet. My research project aims at exploring if there is
a widespread use of ICT (especially internet) in marginalised groups outside
mainstream society. The main focus of my research is Gypsies and Travellers
in Europe. Notwithstanding the high levels of non-literacy of this
population group, a quick internet search reveals the existence of many
websites belonging to Traveller groups especially associations. (e.g. Pavee
Point, Roma support group, friends and families of travellers). This
research project, I am developing at Oxford University as a part of my
post-doctoral research, aims at examining the social transformations in
these groups caused by ICTs. The question is if and how ICTs have affected
Travellers’ and Gypsies’ lives and their participation in society

The starting point will be Travellers’ associations; the main question
concerns how these technologies are being used by organisations. The
internet has been used “politically” in various ways to lobby for change, to
inform the press and to get through to mainstream society. One example is
the campaign to change the laws on sites and parking, which saw the use of
e-petitions among other instruments. This project seeks to analyse this
campaign for law reform considering it from the angle of social justice for
minorities, as well. Are ICTs facilitating contacts with the Travellers they
represent and what is the content of these exchanges? The issue of
legitimacy of representation will also be analysed along with the global
contacts with the wider Rom community and the political battles at a wider
level.

I ask what tools have associations created to support their community and
how do they work? The web sites offer practical advice to individuals so
they can understand planning laws and get authorisations. There are also
projects for the use of ICTs in education. How widespread are e-learning
tools in this community which values home education? And have they helped
improve the literacy levels and the “inclusion” of the population? Is there
legislation helping to maintain cultural pluralism by supporting distance
learning for this nomadic group?

I would be glad of get in contact with you to share our experiences and
discuss possible ways of approach to this subject.