[Air-L] New media program/journal rankings

Jan Fernback fernback at temple.edu
Sun Nov 4 07:33:01 PST 2007

Google Scholar does seem to have a more robust search/rank
capacity for journals than does ISI, which is heavily
science oriented. Unfortunately, however, many U.S.
universities are now requiring journal impact factors (along
with world library holdings, etc) as evidence of the quality
of one's scholarship for tenure packages, and many will
consider these rankings from ISI only. Several colleagues of
mine have been denied tenure based partly on the inability
to document the "influence" of their scholarship in
accordance with databases like ISI.

Incidentally, the journal impact factor of New Media &
Society as listed on ISI is 0.988. Most social science or
humanities journals rarely have impact factors above 1.5 or
2. As a comparison, the Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience is
ranked at a 5.197. The hard reality for many of us is that
these rankings have direct influence on the trajectories of
our careers.

Jan Fernback, PhD
Associate Professor and Director, Master of Arts Program
Dept of Broadcasting, Telecom & Mass Media
Temple University
Philadelphia, PA 19122
fernback at temple.edu