[Air-L] Fwd: 3rd Workshop on Critical Research in IS, in conjunction with ECIS, 08 June 2008, Galway, Ireland

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri Nov 2 05:41:16 PDT 2007

> [Apologies for multiple postings]
>
> Quo Vadis CRIS?
> The 3rd International Workshop on Critical Research in Information
> Systems
> to be held on 8th June 2008, prior to the ECIS Conference in Galway,
> Ireland.
>
> Critical Research in Information Systems (CRIS) has been relatively
> successful in gaining legitimacy as a research approach in IS. A
> number of
> special issues, tracks and book publications bear witness to this.
> Critical
> research can now be published in most major IS outlets. The most
> recent
> examples of this are the special issues in Information Technology &
> People
> (issue 19:3, 2006)  and a distributed special issue to be published
> by the
> Information Systems Journal in 2008.
>
> There has been much debate about what constitutes a critical
> approach and
> who or what should be counted as critical. A comprehensive
> definition is not
> to be expected anytime soon, but the body of CRIS literature is now
> sufficiently extensive and coherent to allow for the identification of
> critical work.
>
> This workshop aims to ask questions about what could or should come
> the development of CRIS. How will CRIS position itself with regards
> to other
> critical disciplines (e.g. critical management studies, critical
> ethnography)? What will its role be in the field of IS? Will it be the
> alternative to positivist and interpretivist research in IS
> departments?
> Would this mean the development of a canon of criticality in IS?
> Does/will
> CRIS share the radical underpinnings of critical social research?
> How will
> CRIS respond to criticism from postmodernists? Would it aspire to
> become
> 'post-postmodern critical'? Will it transcend academic discipline and
> inspire further activities, e.g. a political movement, professional
> association and regulations, an academic teaching platform?
>
> These and many other questions will be asked about the future of
> CRIS. The
> workshop therefore invites contributions that will help us  seek
> out the
> answers and engage in creating CRIS' future.
>
> Workshop Chairs are currently in negotiation with publishers
> concerning a
> publication of the workshop contributions. Further details will be
> discussed
> at the workshop.
> Call for Papers
>
> The one-day workshop will consist of a mixture of keynote speaker,
> full and
> positional refereed papers and opinion pieces in an Open Forum. We
> invite
> [...]

Jeremy Hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(www.cipr.uwm.edu)

Words are things; and a small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a
thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions,
think. --Byron