[Air-L] CFP DIAC-2008/OD2008: Tools for Participation

David M Silver dmsilver at usfca.edu
Mon Nov 19 11:59:09 PST 2007

this might interest some list members. berkeley in late june is quite nice.

please forward, post, and distribute.

david silver
http://silverinsf.blogspot.com

***

Tools for Participation:
Collaboration, Deliberation, and Decision Support

Directions and Implications of Advanced Computing Symposium
Conference on Online Deliberation
(DIAC-2008/OD2008)

Sponsored by Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
and UC Berkeley School of Information

University of California, Berkeley
June 26 - 29, 2008
http://www.publicsphereproject.org/events/diac08/

At the dawn of the 21st century humankind faces challenges of
profound proportions. The ability of people around the world to
discuss, work, make decisions, and take action collaboratively is
one of the most important capabilities for addressing these challenges.

Researchers, scholars, activists, advocates, artists, educators,
technologists, designers, students, policy-makers, entrepreneurs,
journalists and citizens are rising to these challenges in many
ways, including, devising new communication technologies that build
on the opportunities afforded by the Internet and other new (as
well as old) media. The interactions between technological and
social systems are of special and central importance in this area.

DIAC-08 combines CPSR's 11th DIAC symposium with the third Conference
on Online Deliberation. The joint conference is intended to provide
a platform and a forum for highlighting socio-technological
opportunities, challenges, and pitfalls in the area of community
and civic action. Technology enhanced community action ranges from
informal communities of practice to democratic governance of formal
organizations to large social movements.

We are especially interested in technology development that is
already being tested or fielded. We are also interested in theoretical
and other intellectual work that helps build understanding and
support for future efforts. In addition to exploring social technology,
we must at the same time understand and advance the social context
of technology, including its design, access, use, policy and
evaluation, as well as intellectual frameworks and perspectives
that inform technological as well as social innovation including
requirements, case studies, critique and self-reflection, and
infrastructures for future work.

Our areas of focus include but are not limited to: deliberative and
collaborative systems, e-democracy and e-participation, mobilization
and organization, negotiation, consultation, sustainability, community
support systems, open source models, human rights, ecological
awareness, conflict resolution, justice, transparency systems, media
and civic journalism, media literacy, power research, citizen
science, economic development and opportunity, peace and reconciliation,
infrastructure development, policy, education, community networks,
research and development for civil society, social software, virtual
communities and civic intelligence.

We are currently interested in the following types of submissions:
research paper and exploratory paper presentations (both of which
will be peer reviewed), technology demonstrations, workshops and
poster sessions. We are currently seeking co-sponsors who can help
provide various types of assistance. We are also seeking donations
and other support (including volunteer labor) to help make this
event successful.

The DIAC symposia have resulted in six book publications (in addition
to the proceedings). Although we don't have specific plans at this
time, we are hoping to publish our seventh book based on this event.

Guidelines for papers and other submissions

All submissions must be made via the conference submission system
on the DIAC-08 web site. Submissions should be written in English
and foreign speakers are encouraged to have their submissions
reviewed for language prior to submission. Submissions should be
formatted for "US Letter" size using 11 point Times-Roman font.
Research papers should be a maximum of 10 pages. Accepted research
papers should be revised according to reviewer comments and resubmitted
by the deadline. Workshop proposals (two pages) should include
motivation, objectives, expected outcomes, intended audience, process
(including specific description of how people will be engaged during
the workshop). Taking a cue from PDC 2008, we are also interested
in exploratory papers (4 pages), that reflect novel concepts,
works-in-progress, reflections, manifestos or other ideas and issues
that aren't currently suitable for a research paper.

Important Dates

December 1, 2007 Submission system available
December 15, 2007 Early registration begins
February 15, 2008 Research paper submissions due
March 15, 2008 Demonstration, workshop proposals due
April 1, 2008 Notices of research paper acceptances
April 15, 2008 Poster proposals due
May 1, 2008 Late registration begins
May 15, 2008 Completed research papers due
June 26-June 29, 2008 DIAC-2008/OD2008

Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility

CPSR is a public-interest alliance of people concerned about the
impact of information and communications technology on society. By
sponsoring international, national, and local projects and events,
CPSR serves as a catalyst for in-depth discussion and effective
action in key areas.

UC Berkeley School of Information

Providing the world with innovative information solutions and
leadership, the UC Berkeley School of Information conducts research,
provides policy counsel, and trains information professionals in
five areas of concentration including information design and
architecture, information assurance, social studies of information,
human-computer interaction, and information economics and policy.

Conference Chair
Douglas Schuler

Program Chairs
Todd Davies, Jerome Feldman, and Douglas Schuler

Related Conferences

We also recommend the Participatory Design Conference which will
be held in Bloomington, Indiana, USA. September 30, 2008 - October
4, 2008. See http://www.pdc2008.org/. The theme of this 10th PDC
is "Experiences and Challenges" and it is an excellent opportunity
to reassess the achievements of the PD movement and to consider its
future.