[Air-L] Canonical Works on Blogs

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Sun Nov 4 16:48:18 PST 2007

> If this does get published (god willing) it will be one of the first
> papers in geography on blogs, so I would like to include a decent
> literature review that touches upon some of the major works. The goal
> is to cite works which are good at defining blogs and at describing
> their more important features and influences on modern society.
>

> Winer, D. (2003) What makes a weblog a weblog.
> http://www.scripting.com/davenet/2003/06/18/whatMakesAWeblogAWeblog.html
> (not exactly an academic source, but what are you going to do)

>  Lin, J., Halavais, A., and Zhang, B. (2007). The blog network in
> america: Blogs as indicators of relationships among us cities.
> Connections, 27(2):15?23.
>
> Vigas, F. (2005). Blogger' expectations of privacy and accountability:
> An initial survey. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 10(3).
>
> Obviously, there is much more out there on blogs than this. What other
> sources would make up a good 'canon of blogs' list?

In addition to the following, you should also check out Lois's blog bib,
available at:

http://loisscheidt.com/linked/bibliographies/Weblog_and_Blog_Bibliography.pdf

Glad to see the Lin/Halavais piece in your list;  that's nice work.

Also, be sure that you spell Fernanda Viegas' name correctly ;-)

Good luck...  --elijah

<dump type=BROG>

Herring, S. C., Scheidt, L. A., Bonus, S., and Wright, E. (2004). Bridging
the gap: A genre analysis of weblogs. Proceedings of the 37th Hawai'i
International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-37). Los Alamitos: IEEE
Computer Society Press. http://www.blogninja.com/DDGDD04.doc

Herring, S. C., Kouper, I., Scheidt, L. A., and Wright, E. (2004). Women
and children last: The discursive construction of weblogs. In: L. Gurak,
S. Antonijevic, L. Johnson, C. Ratliff, and J. Reyman (Eds.), Into the
Blogosphere: Rhetoric, Community, and Culture of Weblogs. University of
Minnesota. http://blog.lib.umn.edu/blogosphere/women_and_children.html

Herring, S. C., Scheidt, L. A., Bonus, S., and Wright, E. (2005). Weblogs
as a bridging genre. Information, Technology & People, 18(2), 142-171.
Preprint: http://www.blogninja.com/it&p.final.pdf

Herring, S. C., Kouper, I., Paolillo, J. C., Scheidt, L. A., Tyworth, M.,
Welsch, P., Wright, E., and Yu, N. (2005). Conversations in the
blogosphere: An analysis "from the bottom up." Proceedings of the
Thirty-Eighth Hawai'i International Conference on System Sciences
(HICSS-38). Los Alamitos: IEEE Press.
http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~herring/blogconv.pdf

Herring, S. C., and Paolillo, J. C. (2006). Gender and genre variation in
weblogs. Journal of Sociolinguistics, 10(4), 439-459. Preprint:
http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~herring/jslx.pdf

Herring, S. C., Scheidt, L. A., Kouper, I., and Wright, E. (2006).
Longitudinal content analysis of weblogs: 2003-2004. In M. Tremayne (Ed.),
Blogging, Citizenship, and the Future of Media. London: Routledge.
Preprint: http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~herring/tremayne.pdf

Herring, S. C., Paolillo, J. C., Ramos Vielba, I., Kouper, I., Wright, E.,
Stoerger, S., Scheidt, L., and Clark, B. (2007). Language networks on
LiveJournal. Proceedings of the 40th Hawai'i International Conference on
System Sciences (HICSS-40). Los Alamitos: IEEE Computer Society Press.
Preprint: http://blogninja.com/hicss07.pdf

Paolillo, J. C., Mercure, S., and Wright, E. (2005). The social semantics
of LiveJournal FOAF: Structure and change from 2004 to 2005. In G. Stumme,
B. Hoser, C. Schmitz, and H. Alani (Eds.), Proceedings of the ISWC 2005
Workshop on Semantic Network Analysis, Galway, Ireland, November 7, 2005.
http://www.blogninja.com/paolillo-mercure-wright.final.pdf

Paolillo, J. C., and Wright, E. (2004). The challenges of FOAF
characterization. For the 1st Workshop on Friend of a Friend, Social
Netowrking, and the Semantic Web, Galway, Ireland, September 1-2 2004.
http://stderr.org/~elw/foaf/ or
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/events/foaf-galway/papers/fp/challenges_of_foaf_characterization/

Paolillo, J. C., and Wright, E. (2005). Social network analysis on the
Semantic Web: Techniques and challenges for visualizing FOAF. In V.
Geroimenko & C. Chen (Eds.), Visualizing the Semantic Web, 2nd ed. Berlin:
Springer. Preprint:
http://www.blogninja.com/vsw-draft-paolillo-wright-foaf.pdf

Scheidt, L. A. (2006). Adolescent diary weblogs and the unseen audience.
In D. Buckingham & R. Willett (Eds.), Digital Generations: Children, Young
People and New Media. London: Lawrence Erlbaum. Preprint:
http://loisscheidt.com/linked/2006/Adolescent_Diary_Weblogs_and_the_Unseen_Audience.pdf

Scheidt, L. A., and Wright, E. (2004). Common visual design elements of
weblogs. In: L. Gurak, S. Antonijevic, L. Johnson, C. Ratliff, and J.
Reyman (Eds.), Into the Blogosphere: Rhetoric, Community, and Culture of
Weblogs. University of Minnesota.
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/blogosphere/common_visual.html

</dump>