[Air-L] [SPAM: 7.500] Ethical approval for online data collection?

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Tue Nov 20 06:01:33 PST 2007

I read the original post and found myself just blinking for several
seconds, and seriously hoping it was a joke.  The idea that because
someone might not understand the technology is a good excuse for
avoiding an ethics process is, for me, just beyond words.  In every
facet of research - work at the university level, the organizational
level, or done independently - there is an implied educational
component, so it is your job to educate your audience.

Beyond that point, why is the focus on the differences the technology
brings rather then the similarities to other research in different
venues?  Ethnics review systems have looked at similar research done in
terrestrial environments - think phone books and university "freshman"
registries, etc.  The technology is not the issue...a complicator yes,
but not the main issue.

You should spend sometime studying published work that has used
facebook and livejournal - to name a few - as sources of data for other
studies.  Your basic question(s) may have been answered through means
already vetted through an ethics process.

Finally, I will suggest you first review the facebook ToS before
dwelling on the ToS of individual applications within their
environment.  Companies like facebook are not individual actors under
human subjects ethics concepts but they are collectives of individual
actors or even sole proprietorships who deserve to be studied ethically
no matter if the study is direct or indirect.  There has not been
enough discussion of the ethics of trespassing where a "No Trespassing"
sign has been publicly posted, and I humbly think that more discussion
is needed. I fully expect we will eventually see litigation on this
subject...something I would personally rather watch than being the main
focus of the action.

I have to say that over the last year I've become more aware of and
less open to research that comes without a statement of the projects
compliance with the local ethics review systems.  While social research
rarely rises to the level of some of the more often cited problematic
medical and psychological research done before the advent of the review
process, I have to question the personal superiority embedded in the
idea that our research is never problematic, we can individually - and
at all times - recognize any potential negative impact of our work,
and/or because we do cutting edge tech research the newness of the
field makes our work too hard to explain to someone outside the field.
That sense of superiority is at the heart of most of the research that
got us ethics review boards of all stripes.  Personally, I welcome
review - now that I understand the process - because in most cases it
had made my research stronger.

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN USA and
IUPUC, Columbus IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com