[Air-L] New media program/journal rankings

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Sat Nov 3 14:55:02 PDT 2007

A rubric for what I carefully pay attention to:

1) Who is doing work that I like, can believe in, and can validate?

2) Are those people in a place where synergistic effects happen - where
    multiple really smart people get together and produce something
    amazing?

3) Where should our own work be sent in order for people who will be able
    to use it to get maximum exposure to it?

A whole lot of things about different programs are driven by the
individuals who are present in those locations: I don't think anyone would
flinch if they were advised to try to get a position in a program where
there's a Steve or a Susan or a Nancy or a Charles or a Matt or a Bonnie
or an Annette (among a whole bunch of other folks...);  some folks are
able to very heroically drive successes around them, and seem to turn
dross into gold on a frightfully regular basis.

--elijah