[Air-L] e-reading limitations

Conor Schaefer conor.schaefer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 08:23:08 PDT 2007

Hm, I usually write the file format "TIFF," but I think we're talking
about the same thing. And oddly, according to Wikpedia, at least, Adobe
now owns TIFF. From Wikipedia:

Tagged Image File Format (abbreviated TIFF) is a container format for
storing images, including photographs and line art. It is now under the
ownership of Adobe. Originally created by the company Aldus[1] for use
with what was then called "desktop publishing," TIFF is a popular format
for color and black and white images. The TIFF format is widely
supported by image-manipulation applications, by publishing and page
layout applications, by scanning, faxing, word processing, optical
character recognition and other applications. [2] Adobe Systems, which
acquired Aldus, now holds the copyright to the TIFF specification.

So it would seem to me that Microsoft was not allowed to include the
TIFF reader functionality, or decided to exclude it out of animosity
toward Adobe. Either way, something political, I'm sure.

A quick google for "tiff reader" yielded this page, for a Windows-based
TIFF viewer called "Brava."

http://www.tiffviewer.com/download.htm

Good luck, and I look forward to others' suggestions.

Conor